Sr Program Manager, IT
2015 – Current
Senior Program Manager for GSA’s Integrated Award Environment (IAE) business operations group. Lead program and product management related to modernizing and integrating the IAE family of systems; in particular to the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS), System for Award Management (SAM), IAE wide system interfaces, IAE wide data services, and IAE business process management.
Director of Strategy
2014 – 2015
Director of Strategy and Capture for corporation’s federal contracting group; providing corporate strategic guidance, business capture executive management, and business improvement initiative leadership to strengthen capabilities and the bottom line.
- Initiated lean management principles to reduce waste and improve quality. Immediately identified $500,000/year in savings from front-line operations while simultaneously broadening capabilities.
- Implemented formal capture process based on Shipley business development model to improve proposal win rate from baseline under 30% to target over 60%.
- Developed strategic sourcing and partnerships for corporate operations and back office functions to significantly improve efficiency and capabilities, while reducing indirect costs by over 15%.
- Scoped a comprehensive business process improvement program to result in corporation and subsidiaries becoming ISO 9001:2008 certified and CMMI Maturity Level 2 appraised.
Director of Operations / GM
2013 – 2014
Director of Operations of rapidly growing $20M company portfolio. Managed over 700 employees and 30 subcontractors across five separate business lines in the fields of training, program management, behavioral health, IT support, and equipment maintenance services. Direct report to CEO.
- Turned around company sales and business development resulting in $40M in new contract work. Quadrupled projected company revenue, improved long term profitability, and rebuilt 24 month business opportunity pipeline to position company for doubling of company annual revenue and profits.
- Consolidated business development initiatives across business lines to focus resources towards best opportunities for growth and development. Resulted in two major Government contract wins against larger, long entrenched incumbents (Raytheon and MSF).
- Standardized processes and procedures across different programs and projects to enhance efficiencies and reduce work errors. Result was two negative profit contracts become profitable within 6 months.
- Developed portfolio and program governance to improve company program/project capability maturity and align programs/projects with company strategic goals.
- Designed operations and business development group SharePoint sites from ground up to improve collaboration and reduce operating costs. Developed two e-commerce sites from scratch and implemented web analytics to optimize performance and user experience.
Portfolio / Program Manager
2008 – 2013
Portfolio Manager of worldwide traffic safety programs and projects for the Department of Defense consisting of 170+ employees and a $12 million operating budget. Included elements of: motorcycle training, driver improvement courses, safety events, full media campaign, and continuous overall program improvement.
- Expeditiously launched Navy/Marine Corps program at all regions and bases worldwide in less than 30 days (including hiring, project planning and execution, operating schedules, processes and procedures, program documentation, etc.) while under significant visibility at the highest levels of the military.
- Led winning proposal efforts on four Air Force contracts, Navy SeaPort-e, and a Defense Safety Oversight Committee task order. Added on contract work with the Air Force exceeded $1M/yr. by the second contract year.
- Successfully increased Navy/Marine Corps program sales by $4M in first year through strong sales, marketing, and product improvement effort; a 15% increase in company revenue.
- Introduced immediate efficiencies into the Navy/Marine Corps program leading to a doubling of training throughput at the same cost as prior contractor. Results were over a 50% drop in motorcycle related fatalities in first year of execution from prior efforts.
Senior Project Manager
2005 – 2008
Project Manager on multiple US Navy acquisitions of small craft including: harbor tugs, barges, seaborne targets and Naval Academy training craft. $20M yearly acquisition and $2M labor budget.
- Upon taking position, immediately analyzed program budget and financials and re-negotiated with government client to take company program out of the red to being fully funded and having surplus.
- Served as key personal in aiding US Government client in changing acquisition methods to GSA, saving thousands of man-hours during acquisition process without increasing overall capital costs.
- Provided management oversight, budgeting, and tasking for modernization of Navy Fleet service craft and 20-year Landing Craft Utility (LCU) life cycle extension.
- Spearheaded research for reconstituting previously cut, medium-sized ship connector acquisition program valued at approximately $200M – $400M over a two-year period.
- Developed templates for various proposals improving proposal quality leading to increase RFP wins and improve profitability for the company.
Aviation Maintenance Manager
2000 – 2005
Served as active duty maintenance supervisor of 6-12 electrical technicians in daily troubleshooting and repair of avionics navigation, flight control, power, lighting, cockpit instrumentation, and numerous other electrical systems.
- Managed calibration and repair of electronic test equipment in excess of $10M, supporting air operations and ensuring broken systems could be immediately turned around.
- Developed and implemented planned maintenance schedule for rehabilitation of 83 compartments aboard aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt.
- Certified quality manager for repair on various avionics equipment to ensure safety of flight and reduce repeat breakdowns of equipment. Reduced backlog of shop equipment from over fifty items to single digits and at some points zero.
Instructor and Learning Center Coach
1998 – 2000
Instructor for various credit-based courses in the Physical Education Department.
Learning center coach in the Mechanical Engineering Department assisting students in understanding statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, and mechanics of materials.